Slide trying to cross a small stream is one of the most unpleasant inconveniences and even potentially dangerous when we are outdoors, here are some simple rules discussed to account.
- Do not cross the first approach point without notice other: sometimes the first place where we reach the creek crossing is the best, sometimes not. You have to inspect the area a bit before starting the crossing.
- Have all the equipment properly adjusted and saved, it is likely that inevitably lose anything that we fall out of their pockets if it hits the water.
- Check the depth before crossing: for that we must use a cane or stick. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, do not try crossing any stream, no matter how insignificant it may seem, if the depth is greater than the height of the thighs.
- Verify that the stones, sand or soil where we tread is firm before putting the foot stones in unstable equilibrium and very soft soils could cause our downfall.
- No hurry: if we do not have the proper equipment to cross without getting wet, you have to resign themselves to wet period. Do not rush to cross because the water is cold, but it is necessary to measure each step before giving it.
- Avoid ice and frost: besides crossing frozen winter streams – which require specific techniques – it can happen that early in the morning has formed a thin layer of ice on the pools of water and stones. We must not step on the ice since it is extremely slippery.
- Crossing preferably early: You must plan the march so as to cross the streams preferably higher flow early in the morning or at dusk. Streams generally have a higher flow rate after noon until sunset, which can complicate and render dangerous any attempt to cross.
- Let the first crossing more experienced person, this appeared in it will not necessarily be the leader of the expedition. In some places it may be a local or carrier who knows the road.
- In case of fall into the water if it starts to float, you have to leave the team, with a backpack is almost impossible to swim go to bed, especially in turbulent waters.
- Trying not to step on algae or areas of stones covered with a greenish tint, can be very slippery.
- Of course, we dwell more on the subject of crossing rivers , but now intend to give a brief guide on the subject. What is simple is remembered more easily, and that leads to fewer errors.